Tuesday, December 2

Thanksgiving Turkey

This year I was in charge of the entire Thanksgiving dinner. This was a completely new experience for me. Thanksgiving in my home is a large family event full of traditions. This year, we created new traditions. The day before Thanksgiving, I called my mother for her recipes and wrote them down on scratch paper. So, I'm typing them here (with somewhat of a selfish motive), so next year I can get them anywhere in the world that has access to the Internet.

So here is the "basic" recipe for the turkey...
1 18-21 lb turkey
1 cube butter
1 large can chicken broth
1 onion finely chopped
celery stalks finely chopped

Seasonings to taste:
Sage
Poultry seasoning
Salt
Pepper

Clean the inside of the turkey (yuck). Tie the turkey's front drumstick legs together with string. Tie the back of the turkey together with string. Spread the butter all over the outside of the turkey. Stuff the inside of the turkey with the celery, onion, and seasoning. Also sprinkle seasonings on top of turkey. Place the large turkey in a turkey cooking bag. Pour 1 can chicken broth over the turkey, and seal the bag shut. Put the bird on a "turkey rack" (OK, I didn't realize these existed until a few years ago).

Cook the turkey at 325-350 degrees for 3-5 hours until the meatiest part of the turkey registers at 180 degrees on a cooking thermometer.

Variations on this theme: You can take the turkey out after 2 hours and baste the turkey with the sauce at the bottom of the pan.

No comments: